Development Plans of Cambodia
Evolutions of National Development Plans
The National Strategic Development Plan (NSDP) is a 5-Year national development plan which coordinates the government strategies/policies and spending towards the attainment of overall development goals of Cambodia. NSDP has been operationalized from the Rectangular Strategy, which is a political platform of the ruling party, and reaches the implementation of Phase III. Therefore, NSDP aims to achieve both political and socio-economic development of Cambodia within the period of 5 years. Until now, Cambodia has undergone 7 national development plans including the Socioeconomic Rehabilitation and Development Programs (SRDPs) 1986-1990, SRDP 1991-1995, the Socio-Economic Development Plans Phase I (SEDP I) 1996-2000, SEDP II 2001-2005; National Strategic Development Plan (NSDP) 2006-2010, NSDP Update 2019-2013 and NSDP 2014-2018.
In 2002, National Poverty Reduction Strategy (NPRS) 2003-2005 and Cambodian Millennium Development Goals (CMDGs) (English and Khmer), which was localized from the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) globally approved in 2000 and contained 9 goals, were emerging during the implementation of SEDP II aiming at alleviating poverty. In this sense, Cambodia implemented 3 different national documents for the same period for both promoting economic growth and reducing poverty. Until 2006, Cambodia had synchronized all national documents into NSDP 2006-2010.
Responsibilities of Ministry
The Ministry of Planning (MoP) was established by the Royal Government of Cambodia in January 1996 to be responsible for providing guidance and managing socio-economic development planning and statistics in the Kingdom of Cambodia. The MoP at the central level consists of General Directorate of Planning, National Institute of Statistics, Personnel Department, General Administrative Department and Supply and Financial Department. Under the General Directorate of Planning there are the departments of General Planning, Economic Planning, Social Planning, Investment Planning and International Relation. According to the Sub-Decree No. 70 on the Organization and Functions of the Ministry of Planning dated February 20, 2014, MoP has the roles and responsibilities in the process of national development as follows:
- Act as the government arm in formulation of concepts, strategies, policies, and in determining priorities for national development in order to ensure the sustainability and balance between development equity and social justice and between economic development and social and culture development, between urban and rural areas, between exploitation and regeneration of natural resources and between development and environment protection;
- Guide and manage methodologies and procedures used in the formulation of socio-economic development plans according to the decentralized system in the whole country;
- Prepare long, medium, and short –term plans and national programmes by coordinating with all relevant ministries/institutions in order to ensure consistency among socioeconomic sectors and among provinces and regions in the whole country;
- Monitor the implementation of plans, national programs and projects in all sectors, make assessments and propose measures to correct those plans and programmes as needed;
- Work with concerned ministries/institutions in formulating strategies and policies and identifying priorities for investment both public and private in order to gain the efficiency and maximizing the use of both internal and external potentials resources;
- Collaborate with the Ministry of Economy and Finance in fixing the amount and in allocating annual budget for public investment;
- Work with relevant ministries/institutions to formulate strategies , policies, and identify priorities in order to ensure that the socio-economic, technological and cultural cooperation with foreign countries are consistent with the national development objectives and policies;
You can get access to the Ministry of Planning (MoP) via its website (www.mop.gov.kh) for further detailed and emerging information and documents.
Below is the list of political platforms and national development plans of Cambodia.
|Rectangular Strategy Phase II
|Rectangular Strategy Phase III
|National Development Plans
|National Strategic Development Plan (NSDP) 2006-2010
|NSDP Update 2009-2013